Oxford County, Maine

• Commissioners revisit jail    funding

 March 15 Commissioners    minutes

• County administrator no    longer 'from away'

• Treasurer's office, DA legal    secretary job openings

• Commissioners discuss    bridge repairs

• Commissioners address jail    funding issues

• Towing companies want fair    share of accident calls

 Airport auction nets $20,000

• Commissioners meet with    legislators on jail issues

• 2016 tax committment by    towns

• Supporting materials for    tax commitment

• enacted 2016 budget

• Casino revenues boost    coffers by $1 million

Commissioners talk jail    finances with legislators

County,  state to overhaul    courthouse

Christina McAllister named    Deputy of the Year

Cost to restore jail to full    time pegged at $1.4 million

 911 dispatch - the glue    that  binds emergency    services

County tax levy by towns-15

Oxford County Courthouse to be expanded, preserved

by Rick Haverinen, Staff Writer Sun Journal May 22, 2016

SOUTH PARIS — The Oxford County Courthouse on Western Avenue, a stately building which has sat on a Paris hillside for 12 decades, is going to be expanded, while still preserving its original beauty.

The courthouse, built in 1895 by Lewiston architect G.M. Coombs as a showpiece, was designed to combine beauty with function. The county added copious details to attract the eyes of visitors, such as ornate wood carvings, attractive staircases, and even a mural of an early court scene behind the judge's bench, "The Code of Justinian," painted by Monmouth renaissance man Harry Cochrane, the designer and decorator of Cumston Hall in his hometown.

Oxford County 1895 courthouse
The Oxford County Courthouse in South Paris is due to have space added on to the original 1895 construction, while period architectural details are preserved.                                                   Rick Haverinen photo

Throughout the years, the Oxford County Courthouse has been the scene of inheritance battles, property disputes, divorces and criminal trials of all kinds. 

The building hosted a sensational murder trial in the late 1930s, when two men were sequentially convicted and imprisoned in the double homicide of Dr. James and Lydia Littlefield — a story which made national headlines for weeks.

Patricia Shearman, register of deeds for the county office in South Paris, wants to see the building preserved.


If the drop-down menu bar isn't working, check to see if your IE has been upgraded. Click here for instructions on how to fix the problem.